Helderberg International School is a registered Cambridge International School.
What is the Cambridge Curriculum and why have we chosen it for our school?
Cambridge Assessment International Examinations is a division of Cambridge University which offers examinations and qualifications to more than 10 000 schools in over 160 countries. Cambridge International prepares school students for life, helping them develop an informed curiosity and a love for learning.
The Cambridge International curriculum offers a wide range of subjects, as well as a variety of pathways to help ensure success. Cambridge International’s qualifications are recognized and accepted by the world’s best universities, offering a broad scope of opportunities for tertiary studies, helping them to become confident, responsible, reflective, innovative and engaged. At Helderberg International School it is our experience that Cambridge students are successful students. Cambridge International courses are designed to build the understanding and knowledge required for progression, together with the learning and thinking skills that help students become independent and equip them for life beyond the classroom. The flexibility of these qualifications, as well as their acceptance both locally and worldwide, distinguishes the Cambridge International examinations from those of other bodies.
How do we at Helderberg International School prepare your child?
- We believe in individual attention. In this, we pride ourselves on a small class environment.
- Students are challenged to interpret and apply information in a variety of contexts, rather than simply learning by rote – a very useful tool for tertiary education and for life in general.
- Students learn the art of communicating knowledge and information in a coherent and logical manner. Student skills of critical thought and analysis of information are developed and honed to give them an advantage, both in their exams and in their future studies.
- The art of time management is addressed on an ongoing basis. Students learn how much time they should be spending on their different subject areas, as well as how to manage their time when preparing for an exam series.
- We believe in holistic development as we strive to develop our students, both academically and as successful, happy, hardworking and developing individuals in a worldwide team.
What are your alternatives in South African schools?
The NSC – The National Senior Certificate
This is the curriculum offered at all government schools in South Africa, as well as by many independent and private schools. Students are required to take seven subjects to Grade 12:
- A first language
- A second language
- Mathematics or Maths Literacy
- Life Orientation
PLUS any three (3) other subjects offered by the school.
The IEB – The Independent Examinations Board
The IEB offers a curriculum very similar to that of the NSC, yet exams are set by the Independent Examinations Board and are said to be of a higher academic standard. An IEB matric offers the same subject choices as the NSC.
The IB – The International Baccalaureate
The IB curriculum is also an international Curriculum like the Cambridge curriculum, which is offered in IB World schools on a global scale. Our sister school in Hout Bay is an IB World school.
GET IN TOUCH
We would love to hear from you…
We are on hand to answer any questions you may have! Please get in touch either with the following contact details or by using our quick contact form. We will endeavour to reply to you within 1 working day.
If you would like to arrange visiting the school, to have a personal tour and to get answer to all of your questions, please visit our Admissions page & make an enquiry with a suggested time and date to suit you!
Call Us: +27 21 851-6290/1
Visit Us: Helderberg International School, PostNet Suite 214, Private Bag X29, Somerset West, Cape Town, 7130