Our youngest students enjoy their first years at Helderberg International School in a nurturing environment. Through an internationally recognised, play based curriculum, children experience, explore, investigate, create, practise and consolidate their developing skills, understanding and attitudes.
Our aim is to provide a caring and stimulating environment for all children. We offer a wide range of learning and social opportunities, to help them grow into confident, independent and responsible young learners.
The programme ensures that all children have the opportunity to reach their full potential and experience the best possible start to their education building on individual needs and interests.
Prime curriculum areas are:
- Personal, Social, Health and Emotional development: Making relationships, development of self-confidence and self-awareness, managing feelings and emotions.
- Communication, Language and Literacy: Listening, understanding and speaking
- Physical development: gross and fine motor development, awareness of healthy lifestyle, good choices and independence skills
Specific areas are:
- Literacy: Reading and writing skills
- Mathematics: Numbers, shape, space and measures
- Knowledge and Understanding of the world: People and the world, communities, science and technology, inquiry.
- Expressive arts and design: Exploring materials, using imagination, drama, making music, movement, art and design.
The curriculum is taught through themes/units which integrate the curriculum to make learning fun and relevant.
The programme prepares the children perfectly for the introduction of the Cambridge programme in our Year 1 class.
Sport and extra mural:
There is a sport programme built into the school day which develops the important gross motor skills, ball skills as well as dance and movement.
Private extra mural activities (for parents own cost) include: Monkeynastics, Ballet and Kids Computers
Outings and visitors: Class outings to local places of interest enhance the children’s educational experience. They love to visit the beach, strawberry farm, wild life parks and nature reserves. They enjoy visits from theatre and puppet groups
GET IN TOUCH
We would love to hear from you…
We are on hand to answer any questions you may have! Please get in touch either with the following contact details or by using our quick contact form. We will endeavour to reply to you within 1 working day.
If you would like to arrange visiting the school, to have a personal tour and to get answer to all of your questions, please visit our Admissions page & make an enquiry with a suggested time and date to suit you!
Call Us: +27 21 851-6290/1
Visit Us: Helderberg International School, PostNet Suite 214, Private Bag X29, Somerset West, Cape Town, 7130